Locked indoors !!
It is more than two months now. You have done well to contain this VIRUS. There must be many other issues which need your URGENT ATTENTION.
Have you observed any change in your behaviour in the last 3-4 weeks?
Have you been susceptible to uncontrolled repetitive behaviours or thoughts that have started interfering with your day to day life?
Such thoughts may include notably increased fear or anxiety about your health or health of your near and dear ones, repetitively washing your hands or cleaning several times certain door handles or surfaces in your home or remaining uncomfortable when standing in a queue at an ATM or grocery shop?
This PANDEMIC has forced all of us to worry but there is a line between being well informed and experiencing panic and feelings which are damaging to our well being. Check out for the following signs.
The amount of time you are spending in compulsive behaviours e.g CLEANING, WASHING, THINKING about virus etc.
If your behaviour is impacting others in your life including your interpersonal relations, sleep, exercise or eating habits.
There is a heightened level of anxiety even after doing the rituals of cleaning, washing etc.
Your family members have made comments about your recent behaviour.
If you are feeling that you are reaching your breaking point you need to take stock of your life.
We all have spent a long time indoors. Activities have been limited, routine and lacking fun. Follow these simple steps :
- Monitor your thoughts and check whether there are any patterns that trigger a particular behaviour.
- Being informed is important but obsessively tuning into TV news, jumping channels for updates, statistics, checking social media feed can ignite anxiety and fuel obsessive behaviour Limit your watching news or social media feed on the virus to maximum an hour in a day. Try movies, serials, informative channels or practice some hobby.
- Take adequate safety precautions Just don’t overdo.
- Take good care of yourself. Exercise, read a book, dance, connect to your friends, meditate and do not be harsh to yourself.
- Remember, this phase of life will also pass. Lots of restrictions are relaxed now. The life will be back on the fast track sooner than you may be thinking.
Best of luck
The team SSBOGC